Pan cake also known as flap jack is a popular breakfast in America. There are archaeological evidences which state that it is the earliest food during prehistoric times. The pancakes are low in sugar and fat and is full of nutrition as it has fresh apples and butter milk. This makes it a perfect dish to be consumed by all.
All purpose flour – 1 c
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Baking powder – 1 ¼ tsp
Baking soda – ¼ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Apple sauce – ½ cup
Egg – 1
Butter – 1 tbsp
Apple (peeled & diced) – 1 cup
Method of preparation:
- In a large bowl, put flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, put butter, butter milk, egg and apple sauce and whisk well.
- Add the flour mixture and apple sauce mixture and whisk well to make it without any lumps.
- Coat a big non stick skillet by using cooking spray and heat it over medium flame.
- Now pour batter of ¾ cups on the skillet and sprinkle diced apple on top of each pancake.
- Cook it until you see bubbles on top of it after 3 or 5 minutes.
- Flip it on the other side and cook until golden brown on either side.
- Repeat with cooking spray and continue with batches of pancakes.
- Make sure you wipe the skillet well in between each batch of pancakes.
- Serve with sliced bananas, syrup, and a dollop of almond butter or skimmed ricotta.