The history of this dish is attributed to two regions – The US and France as it was a popular dish among the people in these countries during the 1890s. This dish is also called in the US as “scalloped potatoes”. This dish is a perfect accompaniment with roasted pork or beef tenderloin. Dish out with some green salad and French bread to make your family have a fulfilling meal.
Russet potatoes (1/4 inch slices) – 4
Slices onion rings – 1
Butter – 3 tbsp
Salt and pepper – to taste
All purpose flour – 3 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Milk – 2 cups
Shredded Cheddar Cheese – 1 ½ cups
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a casserole dish with butter.
- Layer half of the potatoes at the bottom of the greased casserole dish and place onion slices on top.
- Add the remaining potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan in medium heat and mix the flour and salt by whisking well.
- Add the milk and cook until the mixture thickens. Add the cheese and stir well until it melts.
- Pour this over the potatoes and cover it with a silver foil.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours in oven.