Large Onion (sliced in to ¼ inch thickness) – 1
All purpose flour – 1 ¼ cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Egg – 1
Milk – 1 cup
Bread crumbs – ¾ cup
Seasoned salt – to taste
Oil to fry – 1 quart
Method of preparation:
- Heat oil to 365 degrees F or 185 degrees C in a deep fryer.
- Separate the onion slices and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Dip the onion slices in the flour mixture until they are coated well. Keep aside.
- Whisk an egg and pour it in to the mixture. Add milk and stir well to make smooth batter.
- Dip the onion ring in the batter and arrange on a wire rack to drain.
- Keep the bread crumbs on a plate and place the onion rings and coat well with the crumbs
- Tap the rings slightly to shake off loose crumbs and the rings must be well coated.
- Deep fry the rings for 3 minutes taking care to fry only a few at the time until it turns golden brown.
- Drain in paper towels and garnish with seasoning salt and serve hot.